Research/Outrearch Services Librarian
305 Diehl Hall
Liaison Areas: Mortuary Science
Katherine Chew, MLS, is an Associate Librarian. Katherine holds a B.A in History, and a MLS with a minor in Management Information Systems from the University of Minnesota. Katherine started her library career working as a student at the Bio-Medical Library while in Library School. After graduation, she worked for a short time at the VA Medical Center Library in Minneapolis before moving on to Great Falls, MT as a Air Force Base Librarian in 1982. Katherine held positions as the director of Air Force Base libraries in Montana (Malmstrom AFB), Colorado (Air Force Academy) and Germany (Sembach AB). Back from Germany, Katherine returned to her career in medical librarianship working as a hospital librarian at Columbus Hospital in Great Falls, MT. This was followed by a stint at the Ramstein AB clinic medical library and then later at DC General Hospital in Washington, D.C. Katherine has been at the Bio-Medical Library since December 2001 and is currently the Research/Outreach Services Librarian for the Health Sciences Libraries, which includes support for NIH Public Access Policy Compliance, as well as the Mortuary Science Departmental liaison.
Areas of Interest
Death & Dying, Forensic Medicine, Mortuary Science, Clinical Medicine
- Chew, Katherine; Stemper, James; Schoenborn, Mary and Lilyard, Caroline. User-defined valued metrics for e-journals. Proceedings of the 2012 Library Assessment Conference, Charlottesville, VA.
- Chew, Katherine, Aspinall, Erinn. Serving Multiple Stakeholders: crafting a “blended” scorecard at the University of Minnesota Health Sciences Libraries. Proceedings of the 2010 Library Assessment Conference, Baltimore, MD. http://libraryassessment.org/bm~doc/proceedings-lac-2010.pdf
- Aspinall, Erinn; Chew, Katherine; Watson, Linda; Parker, Mary. A Case Study: Planning a state-wide information resource for health professionals: an evidence-based approach. Journal of the Medical Library Association 2009, 97(4):246-252.
- Lindell, Colleen and Chew, Katherine, [et al] eds. Internet Medical Guide. 6th ed. Osceola, WI : KC Press, 2004.
- Lindell, Colleen and Chew, Katherine. Internet Medical & Health Searching & Sources Guidebook / CD, 5th ed. Osceola, WI : KC Press, 2002.
- Lindell, Colleen and Chew, Katherine. "Wading through the Web: Internet research for the health care professional." NursingMatters 14(3):7 March 2003.
Posters and Presentations
- "E-Journal Metrics: Exploring Disciplinary Differences." Katherine Chew, Mary Schoenborn. Presentation, NISO Virtual Conference: Expanding the Assessment Toolbox: Blending the Old and New Assessment Practices, April 29th, 2015
- "Disciplinary Differences In Applying E-Journal Metrics." James Stemper, Katherine Chew, Mary Schoenborn, Caroline Lilyard. Poster presentation at the 2014 Library Assessment Conference, Seattle, WA, August 4-6, 2014.
- “If You Build It, They Will Come: Developing and Conducting Scholarly Communications Faculty Forums.” Katherine Chew. Poster presentation at the 2013 Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, One Health: Information In an Interdependent World, 3-8 May, 2013, Boston, MA.
- “User-defined Valued Metrics for E-Journals.” Katherine Chew, James Stemper, Mary Schoenborn, Caroline Lilyard. Contributed paper presented at the 2012 Library Assessment Conference, 28 Oct – 1 November, 2012, Charlottesville, VA.
- “Determining Your Lineup Card: Implementing a Demand Driven Acquisition Program Within a Large Academic Institution.” Nicole Theis-Mahon, Katherine Chew. Contributed paper presented at the 2012 Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Growing Opportunities, Changing Our Game, 18-23 May, Seattle, WA
- “Midwest Chapter/MLA 2011 Membership Survey: “The Typical Midwest Chapter Member.”” Katherine Chew, MLS. Poster Exhibit, Midwest Chapter/Medical Library Association 2011 Annual Conference, Faster, Higher, Stronger, October 10, 2011, Indianapolis, IN.
- “Serving Multiple Stakeholders: Crafting a “Blended” Scorecard at the University of Minnesota Health Sciences Libraries.” Katherine Chew, MLS, Erinn Aspinall, MLIS. Katherine Chew presenting at the 2010 Library Assessment Conference, October 26, 2010, Baltimore, MD.
- “Size (and Location) Do Matter: Website Re-Design and the IM Chat Widget.” Katherine Chew, MLS, Emily Reimer. Poster Exhibit, Midwest Chapter/Medical Library Association 2010 Annual Conference, Step Up, Step Forward, September 27, 2010, Madison, WI.
- “Waterfalls are not in the MeSH vocabulary: one library’s experience with unexpected flooding.” Katherine Chew presenting at the 2009 Midwest Chapter/Medical Library Association Annual Conference, Seek, Explore, Discover, October 4, 2009, Columbus, Ohio.
- “FUSION: Melding Reference and Access Services into a single user service point in an academic health sciences library.” Contributed paper presentation at the 2009 Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, iFusions, May 17, 2009, Honolulu, Hawaii.
- “Print Reduction Project at the University of Minnesota Health Sciences Libraries: More Than Just Going E-Only.” Katherine Chew, MLS. Poster Exhibit, Midwest Chapter Medical Library Association/Michigan Health Sciences Libraries Association 2008 Conference, Vital Signs: Keeping You and Your Library Vibrant and Healthy, October 17-21, Troy, MI
- “Teaching The Publication Process: Road to Collaboration at the University of Minnesota.” Katherine Chew, MLS, Elizabeth Fine, MLIS, Cindy Gruwell, MLS, Wayne Loftus, MLS, AHIP. Poster Exhibit, Midcontinental and Midwest Chapters/MLA Joint Annual Meeting, License to Learn / License to Lead, October 13-17, 2007, Omaha, NE
- “Library Exposure: An Open House Point of View.” Karla J. Block, Elaine Challacombe, Katherine Chew, Lisa McGuire. Poster Exhibit, Midwest Chapter/Medical Library Association Poster Exhibit, Midwest Chapter/MLA Annual Meeting, Southern Exposure: A Different Point of View, October 7-11, 2006, Louisville, KY
- “Harold S. Diehl: Pioneer in Randomized Control Trials.” Karla J. Block, Lisa McGuire, Katherine V. Chew. Poster Exhibit, Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Transformations A-Z, May 19-24, 2006, Phoenix, AZ
- “The Changing Face of Health Sciences Library Instruction.” Cynthia K. Robinson, MA; Cindy Gruwell, MLS; Katherine Chew, MLS; James Beattie, LMIS; Ellen Nagle, MLS. Innovations in Medical Education (IME) Poster Exhibit, 114th Association of American Medical Colleges Annual Meeting, Nov 7-12, 2003, Washington, D.C.