Public Services, Technical Services
325A Diehl Hall
Liaison Areas: Mortuary Science
Katherine Chew, MLS, is an Assistant Librarian and Associate Director for Research, Collections and Access Services. Katherine holds a B.A in History, and a MLS with a minor in Management Information Systems from the University of Minnesota. Katherine started her library career working as a student at the Bio-Medical Library while in Library School. After graduation, she worked for a short time at the VA Medical Center Library in Minneapolis before moving on to Great Falls, MT as a Air Force Base Librarian in 1982. Katherine held positions as the director of Air Force Base libraries in Montana (Malmstrom AFB), Colorado (Air Force Academy) and Germany (Sembach AB). Back from Germany, Katherine returned to her career in medical librarianship working as a hospital librarian at Columbus Hospital in Great Falls, MT. This was followed by a stint at the Ramstein AB clinic medical library and then later at DC General Hospital in Washington, D.C. Katherine has been at the Bio-Medical Library since December 2001 and is currently the Associate Director for Research, Collections and Access Services for the Health Sciences Libraries, as well as the Mortuary Science Departmental liaison.
Areas of Interest
Death & Dying, Forensic Medicine, Mortuary Science, Clinical Medicine
Workshops I Regularly Teach
Writing in the Health Sciences Series (The Research Process/Health Statistics and Data Sources/The Publication Process/Study Designs)
- Lindell, Colleen and Chew, Katherine, [et al] eds. Internet Medical Guide. 6th ed. Osceola, WI : KC Press, 2004.
- Lindell, Colleen and Chew, Katherine. Internet Medical & Health Searching & Sources Guidebook / CD, 5th ed. Osceola, WI : KC Press, 2002.
- Lindell, Colleen and Chew, Katherine. "Wading through the Web: Internet research for the health care professional." NursingMatters 14(3):7 March 2003.
- “Teaching The Publication Process: Road to Collaboration at the University of Minnesota.” Katherine Chew, MLS, Elizabeth Fine, MLIS, Cindy Gruwell, MLS, Wayne Loftus, MLS, AHIP. Poster Exhibit, Midcontinental and Midwest Chapters/MLA Joint Annual Meeting, License to Learn / License to Lead, October 13-17, 2007, Omaha, NE
- “Library Exposure: An Open House Point of View.” Karla J. Block, Elaine Challacombe, Katherine Chew, Lisa McGuire. Poster Exhibit, Midwest Chapter/Medical Library Association Poster Exhibit, Midwest Chapter/MLA Annual Meeting, Southern Exposure: A Different Point of View, October 7-11, 2006, Louisville, KY
- “Harold S. Diehl: Pioneer in Randomized Control Trials.” Karla J. Block, Lisa McGuire, Katherine V. Chew. Poster Exhibit, Medical Library Association Annual Meeting, Transformations A-Z, May 19-24, 2006, Phoenix, AZ
- “The Changing Face of Health Sciences Library Instruction.” Cynthia K. Robinson, MA; Cindy Gruwell, MLS; Katherine Chew, MLS; James Beattie, LMIS; Ellen Nagle, MLS. Innovations in Medical Education (IME) Poster Exhibit, 114th Association of American Medical Colleges Annual Meeting, Nov 7-12, 2003, Washington, D.C.