Dawn Hackman, MS, AHIP (pronoun: she) is an Assistant Librarian at the Bio-Medical Library and is one of three liaisons to the Medical School. She holds a B.A. in German Studies from the University of California - Los Angeles and a M.S. in Archives Management from Simmons College in Boston, MA. Dawn comes to University of Minnesota from the University of North Dakota, where she served as a Research & Education Librarian and liaison to the Medical Education and Physician Assistant Studies programs.
Dawn is a member of the Medical Library Association, Midwest Chapter/MLA, the Libraries in Medical Education special interest group of the AAMC Central Group on Educational Affairs, and has been a Senior Member of the Academy of Health Information Professionals since 2015.
Areas of Interest
Access to information, active learning methodologies, curriculum-integrated information literacy, evidence-based medicine, health disparities, instructional design, interprofessional education, literature searches, rural health.
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Hackman D, Cavanaugh S, Nickum A. Librarians as facilitators in the active learning curriculum. In: Alcock L, Thormodson K, editors. The engaged health sciences library liaison. Washington, DC: Rowman & Littlefield. Forthcoming 2019.
- Hackman DE, Francis MJ, Johnson E, Nickum A, Thormodson K. Creating a role for embedded librarians within an active learning environment. Med Ref Serv Q; 2017; 36(4): 334-347. doi: 10.1080/02763869.2017.1369280
- Nickum A, Hackman DE, Francis M, Amidon A, Thormodson K, Fischer E. Experience of implementing an embedded librarian program. Paper presented at: MLA ‘17 Dream Dare Do: Medical Library Association Annual Meeting; 26-31 May 2017; Seattle, WA.
- Hackman D, Mi M, Long BA, Johnson EL, Van Eck R. Space, pedagogy, partners, and opportunities: a systemic approach to promoting active learning and interprofessional healthcare education. Paper presented at: AAMC Central Group on Educational Affairs Spring Conference; 29-31 Mar 2017; Chicago, IL.
- Hackman D, Fischer E, Francis M, Lehar W, Nickum A, Thormodson K. Creating a role for embedded librarians within an active learning curriculum. Paper presented at: Mosaic MLA ‘16; 2016 May 13-18; Toronto, ON, Canada.