The Web of Science (Science Citation Index) may be set up to send regular updates of searches to an email address.
To set up a Web of Knowledge (Web of Science) Alert email update search:
- Start at the Bio-Medical Library homepage: https://hsl.lib.umn.edu/biomed
- Choose 'S' from the Health Indexes/Databases alphabetical list, then click on Science Citation Index Expanded
- If you have not already done so, register with the Web of Science and create an account. Click on the Sign In link at the top of the page to register. Registration is free.
- You will be able to save, store, edit, and email searches from your Web of Science account.
- Sign in to Web of Science
Return to the Web of Science Search page and create the search you wish to save. You can use multiple search boxes to add terms (make sure the pull-down menu on the right side is set to Topic) and use the appropriate Boolean operators:
- AND (used to combine terms that must appear)
- OR (used to combine "like" concepts)
- NOT (used to eliminate concepts)
Let's say you want to find articles searching for treatment of otitis media with amoxicillin and levofloxacin. Here's what the search would look like:
Note that the pull-down menus on the right are all set to Topic. Once you have input your concepts, you can specify a timespan or a specific range of years, or tell Web of Science which database segment you wish to run the search against. Then, click Search.
From the Results page, click on the Search History link at the top of the page:
Select the set # you want to save (use the check box at right) and then click on Save History/Create Alert.
On the Save Search History page, add your search history name, optional description, and email address and outputs. Then click on the Save button for saving your history to the Web of Science server:
You have now set up an email alert with a Web of Science search.
To set up a Table of Contents email alert:
- Start on the Advanced Search option in Web of Science.
- Use the code for a journal name (SO) and type in the name of journal you wish to receive alerts from. You can use the OR operator to combine multiple journal names.
- It's a good idea to limit the TIMESPAN to articles published in the Latest 2-4 weeks:
Click on the Search button and follow the steps you used for creating a search alert.
For more informaiton on setting up Web of Science alerts, see our PDF guide.