Integrating Policy with NCBI

eRA Commons has partnered with the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) to link NCBI’s personal online tool, ‘My NCBI,’ to the Commons.  My NCBI offers an online portal—‘My Bibliography’—for users to maintain and manage a list of their authored works, such as journal articles, manuscripts accepted for publication, books, and book chapters.  Beginning in April 2010, linking an eRA Commons account to a new or existing My NCBI account allows references saved in My Bibliography to automatically appear in users’ progress reports that are prepared in the Commons.

Benefits of Integrating with NCBI

• Less manual data entry, improved data quality, increased ease of system use.
  • Ability to populate citation data from PubMed, PubMed Central, and the NIH Manuscript Submission system (NIHMS), and to readily maintain accurate, structured and up-to-date bibliographic information.
  • Improved data quality enhances the ability of the NIH to manage and monitor the results of its research portfolios
  • Grantees can easily track compliance with the NIH Public Access Policy using a simple color-coded key in ‘My Bibliography.’
  • Commons users can associate their ‘My Bibliography’ citations with a progress report in Commons; and designate delegates to maintain their professional bibliographies in ‘My Bibliography.’'

Getting Started With NIH Public Access Policy Compliance (Using My Bibliography) pdf

MyNCBI (Video; 2:18)

Video tour of MyNCBI homepage and its functions.

MyNCBI -- Overview (pdf)

• What Is MyNCBI
  • Accessing MyNCBI
  • Registering MyNCBI
  • Signing In To MyNCBI
  • Changing or Forgetting MyNCBI password.

MyBibliography (Video; 2:54)

A tutorial demonstrating how to use the My Bibliography component of My NCBI.

My Bibliography -- Overview and Functions (pdf)

• Creating a Bibliography
  • Viewing and downloading citations
  • Sorting citations
  • Managing compliance to the NIH Public Access Policy
  • Deleting citations
  • Sharing MyBibliography
  • Confirming a MyBibliography connection for delegates

My Bibliography: Award Compliance Reports in PDF for eRA Commons Users

"MyBibliography has been enhanced to include an option to generate a PDF format report." See link for explanation and instructions.