Are you planning to conduct a systematic review? Let us help you!
The librarians at the Bio-Medical Library are expert searchers who can support and guide investigators in conducting comprehensive literature searches for systematic reviews.
The Institute of Medicine (IOM) recommends that the systematic review team should “work with a librarian or other information specialist trained in performing systematic reviews to plan the search strategy.” (Standard 3.1.1)
Investigators are encouraged to involve librarians in the systematic review from the outset of the project. Developing and processing database search strategies may take one month or longer. Be sure to engage librarians in the early stages of your review.
Current U of M students, faculty, and staff.
Librarians can help:
- Determine if a systematic review has already been done on your proposed topic
- Collaborate with you to translate your research question into an appropriate search strategy to ensure that all relevant studies are identified
- Recommend specific databases and other information sources to be searched
- Conduct the literature search in relevant databases
- Deliver search results in a format which can be imported into RefWorks or other citation management tools
- Write the search methodology section of the review
- Maintain records of search results and follow up with alerts and updates as needed
Librarians who write the search methodology section of the review should be included as a co-author. Librarians who collaborate on search strategy formation and/or citation management should be acknowledged in the final publication.
Complete the Systematic Review Literature Search Request Form to get started working with a librarian from the Bio-Medical Library.
Systematic Review Resources
- Systematic Reviews
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews
- PRISMA Statement on Systematic Review Reporting
- MOOSE Guideline for Observational Studies (pdf)
- Institute of Medicine Standards for Systematic Reviews
- AHRQ Methods Guide for Reviews
Questions? Contact us!