About the Library
Catalyst - Connector - Common Good. These themes exemplify the work of the Health Sciences Libraries, work that has been made possible by our exceptional staff whose deep expertise sparks innovation and transforms learning through knowledge discovery, use, creation, and sharing.
Director and Associate University Librarian, Health Sciences
We're on the move
July 2020 marks our move into the Health Sciences Education Center where we will provide brand new technology-rich environments, a world-renowned historical collection, and expertise to promote new insights into teaching, learning, and research as we collaborate to address the health challenges of our time. Follow our move updates.
Our work in action
HSL by the numbers 2019
7,934 student touchpoints in 295 coursesOur librarians supported essential skills — from evidence-based practice to data management.
37 systematic reviewsWe collaborated with researchers across U of M to publish studies on topics from non-small cell lung cancer to chronic orofacial pain.
878,000 visitsOur library provided information resources, study spaces, technology solutions, and custom services during 377K in-person and 501K online visits.
2,374 videosOur 1:Button video production studio was used to practice presentations, complete assignments, and record lectures to flip classrooms.
331 course reading listsWe made 6,620 readings available for 331 health sciences courses to support teaching and learning.
3 miles of 3D printer filamentOur 3D printers ran for 365 days and used 3 miles of filament to create tools like a low-cost stethoscope and a prosthetic chicken foot.
10,000+ EBP tutorial unique visitorsOur evidence-based practice online tutorial was used at institutions throughout the world.
- Move into new Health Sciences Education Center
- Name changed to Health Sciences Library to better reflect our work to support teaching and learning across all the schools and colleges of the Academic Health Center; 94% of print collection housed off-site; New technology-rich spaces open to support the application of knowledge and the exploration of emerging technologies in healthcare. See our HSL Move Blog for an archive of move updates.
- Greater Midwest Region Research Data Award
- Received funding from the National Library of Medicine National Network of Libraries of Medicine Greater Midwest Region (GMR) for project: Expanding Research Data Management Education for Health Science Librarians across the GMR, and for Graduate Students and Faculty at the University of Minnesota Duluth (UMD).
- Minnesota Electronic Health Library (MeHL)
- The Minnesota Electronic Health Library (MeHL) initiative was brought to the Minnesota State Legislature in 2015 as part of the University of Minnesota’s Healthy Minnesota legislative request. MeHL’s goal was to provide equal access to evidence-based health information for for all Minnesotans, including point-of-care tools, prescription drug references, and full-text medical books and journals. See our archive of updates throughout the legislative session.
- Bio-Medical Library Opens in Diehl Hall