Prepare for your visit
- All are welcome to use the Wangensteen's collections by appointment.
- Plan ahead! A minimum of one week will be required between an initial consultation and a follow-up appointment.
- Face coverings are required.
- Physical distancing is required.
Directions, parking, and public transportation
- Directions: Phillips-Wangensteen Building, East Bank, 516 Delaware Street SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455
- Parking: The closest parking structures are the Washington Avenue Ramp and the Oak Street Ramp. Additional campus parking facilities are also available.
- Public transportation: The library can be accessed by light rail. Take the Green Line, exiting at the East Bank Station.
Our library catalog features a robust collection search where you can narrow results by names, topics and more. To view materials, please contact us in advance with a list of items that you would like to see and include a call number, title, or author. Please make an appointment to discuss artifacts and objects.
If you have a general research question but aren’t sure how to get started or conduct a search, we are happy to consult with you.
The reading room is kept cool to protect the historical materials. Bring a sweater or layered clothing for warmth.
- No food or beverages are allowed in the reading room.
- To protect materials them from damage, please wash your hands before using the collections.
- Pencils only.
- A locker is available for outerwear and bags. Only materials required for your research are allowed in the reading room.
- Devices such as laptops, digital cameras, and cellphones are allowed in the reading room if silenced. There are power outlets around the reading room. Wireless internet is available.
- Materials cannot be checked out and must be used in the reading room. Removal of any materials without express consent of the curator is considered theft.
- Materials that are fragile or rare may need special handling. Staff will explain how to handle the items.
- Consult with the curator before making any reproductions (photographs or scans) of materials.
- The reading room is intended only for researchers using the Wangensteen Historical Library’s collection.