Research/Outreach Services, Mortuary Science, Center for Allied Health Programs and Center for Bioethics Librarian
[email protected] procedures and policies
The Health Sciences Libraries provides opportunities for informational, cultural and intellectual growth through the exhibit of displays, artifacts, works of art and other materials. Exhibits and art displays on loan in the library will create an inviting environment for users, stimulate academic discourse, and integrate the library more fully into campus life.
Three exhibit wall spaces are available (Width 16’, 14’, 6’ X Height 8’) with overhead directional lighting. The Walker Display Artwork Hanging System is available to display art. Other spaces may be available for sculptures or other non-hanging art.
- University of Minnesota faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
- Members of the community who meet the selection criteria.
The Health Sciences Libraries Art Exhibit Committee will select and schedule all exhibits. Exhibits are chosen based on the criteria listed below. HSL reserves the right to refuse or remove an exhibit.
- Value to academic community.
- Representational of issues and trends related to health and wellness.
- Subject, technique and style are suitable for intended audience.
- Artistic expression or integrity of the work.
- Educational merit or value.
- Appropriateness to special events, anniversaries, and holidays.
- Historical, local, or regional relevance.
- Ability to display in designated areas and space allowances.
- Record of professional achievement.
- Promotion of the union of art and medicine.
Artist responsibilities (after acceptance)
Promotion of the union of art and medicine.
- Provide a biographical and/or exhibit statement and high-resolution images of the artwork (if available) at least four weeks prior to start of exhibit. HSL will run a short news article about the exhibit on the University Library’s newsletter, continuum, and promote the exhibit via social media, Facebook, and digital/print signage. Other appropriate media outlets may also be utilized to promote the exhibit.
- Provide a list of items that will be loaned to HSL for display with an estimated value of each item that will be displayed.
- Be responsible for installing and removing displays in coordination with HSL staff on the dates agreed upon by HSL and the artist/exhibitor. Displays must be set up and removed with as little interference as possible to the daily operations. If the Library must remove a display because it is not removed as scheduled, the Library is not responsible for damages.
- Install and remove exhibits between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday; All exhibit pieces must be compatible with a Walker Display System.
- Agree to be responsible and pay for damages to HSL property resulting from installation or removal of a display.
If an artist/exhibitor would like to host an opening reception for their display, the date and time of the opening must be negotiated with HSL. For questions about receptions, please contact Katherine Chew at (612) 626-3017.
Conditions governing loans to the Health Sciences Libraries (HSL)
- Reasonable care will be taken with loaned artwork.
- Selection and display of loaned artwork is at the discretion of the HSL Art Exhibit Committee. The Exhibits Committee reserves the right to discontinue a display at any time with or without cause.
- The Health Sciences Library carries insurance for loaned art on display in the building with standard exclusions and deductions; It is recommended that artists/exhibitors carry their own insurance.
- Delivery and retrieval of loaned artwork is the responsibility of the artist/exhibitor.
- An artist/exhibitor statement with contact information may be posted with a display. The statement should fit on an 8.5” x 11” sheet of paper.
- Price lists that include an artist/exhibitor’s name, email, and telephone number may be made available near the exhibit, but prices must not be visible on any item or display; All sales and taxes are the responsibility of the artist/exhibitor; If an item in the exhibit sells, it must remain on display until the end of the event.
- The display period for loaned artwork is generally a minimum of six weeks, although that time can be extended. HSL reserves the right to determine the schedule of displays.
- Artists/exhibitors allow HSL to use images from their exhibit for exhibit promotional purposes. The artist/exhibitor releases the Health Science Library and the University of Minnesota from any claim of intellectual property rights violation associated with the use of photographs or other images of the artwork for promotional purposes.
- Displays of loaned artwork must include the following disclaimer, “This exhibit was produced by (Name of Artist/Exhibitor). The views are of the artist/exhibitor represented and do not necessarily represent those of the Health Sciences Library or the University of Minnesota.”
Send letter or email of interest/exhibition proposal: limit to one page. Include:
- Name and contact information.
- Affiliation (if any) with the University of Minnesota.
- Type of work(s) and themes.
- Images: Sample images of artwork to be displayed. Digital images are preferred.
Optional at time of proposal
- Estimated number of (artworks) pieces.
- Preferred date(s).
Send all information to:
Health Sciences Library
Room 5-110 PWB/MMC 491
516 Delaware Street SE
Minneapolis, MN 55455
E-mail: [email protected]