When the design process started for the new Health Sciences Education Center (HSEC), staff in the Health Sciences Library (HSL) knew they wanted to have a space that could function as an interprofessional ‘sandbox’ for exploring new ways of teaching and learning between faculty, librarians, instructional designers, and academic technologists.
The Commons is a space for interprofessional development, discussion, and innovation. A broad community of librarians, instructional designers, teaching experts, and technology leaders can connect here in support of educational goals.
We invite you to think about The Commons as a space to activate your creative and innovative ideas.
U of M faculty, staff, and students can use the Commons to:
- explore new technologies,
- practice active learning and other educational teaching techniques,
- create course content,
- engage in interdisciplinary conversation and collaboration,
- attend workshops to support teaching and learning across the health sciences disciplines, and
- build partnerships and work together in an interprofessional space.
Space and technology
Active learning classroom
- Seats: 24 total. 4 active learning pods with 6 seats at each.
- Set-up includes an instructor podium, computer and Crestron panel that lets instructor change display screens to one of four pods
- Seats: 1-2
- High-quality video production at the touch of a button
- Seats: 16
- Room can be a Zoom room and has access to a kitchenette for catering
Upcoming workshops in the Commons
Workshops are free of charge on a first come, first-served basis. Registration requested.
No events are scheduled.More HSL events
Recent news in the Commons
Elizabeth Wattenberg, Ph.D., is training students at Hanoi Medical University in Vietnam who seek to integrate public health practices into their work. Wattenberg joined with the Libraries to create the “Free Access Public Health” website, providing one-stop access to vetted resources that can support public health students and practitioners wherever they call home.
Associate Director, Education & Research Services
Nursing Librarian and Teaching and Learning Coordinator
- Phillips-Wangensteen Building — Room 5-150
- The Commons is open during scheduled workshops and events. Consultations are available by request.